Saturday, September 5, 2009

Lost In a Foreign Place!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG



I am reposting, kind of sorta stealing this poem from my friend J.P who is studying abroad for a whole year!!!!! He found it online and he did not reference the author. LOL however, I feel like it is a great addition to my blog and how I feel as I walk the streets of Copenhagen looking as if I am the lost tourist that I am>>>>>>

I dreamed a dream...
In it I lived in a foreign land, and saw and experienced so
much, all so new...
All of it confused me, and I pondered at it...
I met new friends, and I spoke a language foreign to
me...
It seemed to go on and on, as the turning of a wheel...
Days repeated, weeks repeated...
Then in a moment, I woke up from my dream. I was home,
In my own country. I knew my people, my language, my
customs...
But yet once more, as in my dream, I was confused...
But this time, by my own people, my own language, my
own customs...
And for a while, I longed to go back, back to the foreign
land that I didn`t understand...

Thursday I found myself lost and struggling to find my way to my next destination. It is very difficult to navigate a place where you cannot read any of the signs and where you are not familiar with the main means of transportation. Well yes, that was my Thursday and Friday and I was SOOOOO afraid. I stopped to ask people and they were not doing a very good job at helping me find my way. I did not know what to do. I was smack dab in the middle of the central train station as lost as I had ever been in my life. I was very confused and my mind began to race. I was frustrated and scared and upset with myself because I could not figure out what I was supposed to do or go. However, the people around me did make an effort to answer my questions. I noticed that it is the Danish way to help others out during their time of need. With this in mind, it seemed strange that the officials or individuals working the trains were less likely to be willing to help me find my way. They were not very nice to me given the fact that I obviously did not know what the heck was going on. As a result to my lack of knowledge on the train systems and the zone structure of the system, I managed to receive a ticket for 750dkk because I did not know what I was doing or how to get where I was going!!!! That is like $120. I did not have the appropriate zones that I needed to get to my destination the the train official DID NOT CARE that I was American and oblivious to these rules. I am very upset and confused with this whole ordeal. It is imperative for me to catch on to these types of things because I cannot afford these types of tickets!!!!!!

No comments: