
If I have noticed anything, I have noticed that the majority pop culture has a huge influence on the rest of the world and how many people from other countries view Americans. Nikoline and I are almost the complete opposites lol. We are interested in different types of music and icons which are essential in a young girl's life now-a-days. If I know anything, I know that music keeps me sane and plays a significant role in my life on a daily basis. For Nikoline, the same is true. So one day when she was blasting some music that interests her after a day at school and I had felt like doing the same, we had lunch. It was then that we decided to have lunch and eat a bowl of noodles. The two of us with our different interests were able to share a common meal (NOODLES) and converse about our taste in music. It wasn't long before I realized that I did not know any of the artists which Nikoline had grown accustom to regardless of the fact that they were nearly all AMERICAN!!!! I soon realized that Nikoline was disappointed with me because I did not listen to Brittany Spears, Madonna, Justin Timberlake and many of the other pop artists that many people associate with American culture. In fact, the same was true for her, she had not heard of anyone on my IPod list with the exception of Kate Voegele who I had become interested in after years of watching One Tree Hill. I tried to explain to her how my interest may be different from the Americans that she has knowledge of because of where I had grown up and the fact that I listen to African American artists, and follow African American actors and the like, you know, people that I have something in common with and can relate to. Nikoline brought up a song by Madonna and Justin called "Four Minutes" and I had never heard of it, but I let her listen to the song "Four Minutes" that Avant made some years back. Much to my surprise, she enjoyed the song and said that it was a lot more intriguing than her section. It was then that I understood that I would have to inform her that I had not done most things that she thinks "all Americans" have done. For example, I have never read a Harry Potter book, watched or read Twilight and the like. Upon receiving this information said relied, "You have got to be kidding me, That's crazy." She just could not fathom the very idea that I had come from a different group of people. This reminded me of when I first become a student at a predominately white college. I felt misunderstood again. However, Nikoline and I are beginning to learn a great deal about one another. She has even convinced me to watch Desperate Housewives, something that I would NEVER watch at home. LOL

No comments:
Post a Comment